Inundated with news about COVID-19, anxiety is spiking for many. Here are some brief tips on controlling what you can emotionally as we move through this crisis. Call or email Ann if you’d like a virtual or in person session to expand on these tips.
- Exhale. Long and slow, then longer and slower. Exhaling helps calm the brain, bringing the thinking brain back on line.
- Turn off the news and the constant feed on your phone or social media. Find one trusted source and consult that source ONCE and only once daily.
- Recite “Loving Kindness Meditation” as you wash your hands. You’re probably sick of “Happy Birthday” anyway. Two repetitions of these two lines is about the right amount of time, and may feel more calming than another song: “May I be safe, may I be healthy, may I feel loved, may I live with ease. May all beings be safe, may all beings be healthy, may all beings feel loved, may all beings live with ease.”
- Do the thymus thump. The thymus gland, which helps boost the immune system, is right behind the breast bone. Thump with three fingers held together, or even a gentle fist bump, tapping either steadily or in the rhythm of your heart. You can’t overdo! One source I saw recommended 100 thumps a day.
- Try acupressure. Huffington Post offers a summary here.