There are many free ways to learn meditation, from local classes to CDs to online programs. However, in order to reap the health benefits, learning to meditate in a class with a health professional like Ann as a guide is akin to hiring a personal trainer. You can drag yourself to the gym to workout alone, but chances are you will get faster results if you work with a trainer. Participation in a meditation class is the same, as Ann can guide you to develop the skills more effectively than you might manage working on your own or with a CD.
Many resources that offer meditation training do so within the framework of a certain religious or spiritual practice, such as Buddhism or Christian contemplative practice. The meditation classes offered here are free of that focus, centered primarily in a psychological and neuroscientific perspective. This is purposeful, allowing participants to expand and integrate their practice into their own spiritual beliefs, if they choose..
Research has shown meditation to have multiple psychological and health benefits, from enhancing immune function to minimize colds and flu to managing chronic pain to lessening mood and anxiety problems. Mindfulness meditation, the form of meditation which Ann teaches, is a process of increasing the ability to focus and relax through attention on felt bodily experience, beginning with the breath. Everyone can learn to meditate! Success comes with practice, as the attentional centers in the brain develop new connections and build the habit of mindfulness.
Ann offers meditation classes at various times and locations. Classes are formed based on number of available participants. The primary location is Ann’s office, 8140 Walnut Hill Lane, Suite. 100.
Ann is also available to bring classes to your organization or place of business. Individual sessions are also available.
Next Level I begins Thursday, March 17, 12:30-1:30 pm.
Spaces are still available.
Call (214-343-1353 x. 2) to reserve space.
Regular meditation practice can be helpful in the ongoing medical management of these diseases/conditions:
- Immune system function–including prevention of the flu!
- Migraine headaches
- Gastrointestinal distress, e.g. IBS
- Chronic pain
- Cardiac conditions
- Fertility issues
- Quality of life in chronic illness
- Quality of life in cancer treatment
- Postconcussive syndrome
Ann offers individual and group meditation instruction and guidance. Classes are held during the noon hour and one evening per week according to a rotating schedule.
- Individual instruction/guidance consists of 50-55 minute sessions for $165/hr. By appointment, content is tailored to the needs of the student.
- Group instruction is limited to 8 participants per 60 minute session. Sessions are purchased as a series of four, one meeting per week over four weeks, at a cost of $100 for the series.
- Various methods of meditation are explored, with a focus primarily on mindfulness-based meditation and mantra meditation.
- Ample practice is offered in individual and group instruction, with supportive discussion about integration of meditation into everyday life.
Ann also can bring meditation training to your group or business, facilitating integration of this life-changing skill into wellness and/or spiritual growth programs.
For more information on class schedule or to schedule an individual session, please call Ann at 214-343-1353 or email her at ann[at]anndunnewold.com.